Must-haves in your maternity wardrobe.
Congrats mama! If you’re reading this, you may have a little bundle of joy on the way or looking for gift ideas for that mom-to be. It’s such an exciting time – and for you first time moms out there, it can feel a bit overwhelming given all of the things that need to happen between now and your due date.
In case you are stumbling across this "5 Maternity Clothing Items You Need" blog post, make sure to follow me on Instagram @irisfithess
As a soon-to-be second time mom, I am sharing a few of my tried and true tips for your most stylish nine months. I have invested in pieces that have lasted me my entire first pregnancy and I repurchased them in other colors for my second pregnancy. I picked colors that would also remain in style for future pregnancies. Comfort is probably the most important part of any pregnant woman's wardrobe.
Here are my pregnancy must-haves to make your 9+ months of pregnancy fabulous!
First, before you start buying every maternity outfit out there, assess your current wardrobe.
Shop Your Closet
First things first, head straight to your closet. What do you have that can work? A knitted/ribbed dress? An oversized tee? Leggings? These are all things I recommend for maternity wear, but you might already have them. Don’t automatically start shopping the maternity section on day one. First, shop your closet and see what can work for your changing body. Also, take into consideration where you live and the weather. Leggings are great because of the stretch (some brands). I wore my Lululemon Align leggings (non-maternity) during my entire first and second pregnancy (currently wearing them while I'm writing this blog). If needed, for those last months that we typically get more swollen then get one pair of maternity leggings. I ended getting the Maternity Legging from BUMPSUIT, which they are the same great buttery fabric throughout the entire leggings, there is NO elastic waist band from top to bottom. I really love them!
Which are those Maternity Clothing Items You Need?
All of these items are designed to grow with you, so you can really wear these from the beginning of your pregnancy right through those postpartum months.
1. A Good Maternity Bra - My breast during my two pregnancies went up three sizes, and really having a good bra makes a big difference. I would recommend to look for a wider band, wire free, soft straps, and breathable fabric - I love this regular bra, Bra-llelujah! Lightly Lined Full Coverage Bra from Spanx. For maternity bra, I love Ultimate Nursing Bra from BUMPSUIT and this Bra-llelujah! Mama Nursing Bra from Spanx. I ordered nursing bras vs going up in bras so I could use them postpartum.
2. Knitted Dresses - These type of knitted/ribbed dresses are a must-have during your pregnancy and this is something you may already have in your closet. They are so versatile, you can wear it pre-pregnancy, during pregnancy, and postpartum. I try my best to stick to stretchy pieces as much as possible while growing a tiny human in my body and knitted/ribbed dresses are my go-to. Add a moto jacket, layer a tee, toss on a sweater – it’s a stylish and comfy base for a variety of outfit options. Some of my favorite places to get good knitted dresses are Nordstrom Rack, PinkBlush, H&M, Shopbop, pretty much any clothing store can carry these types of dresses.
3. Maternity Shape-wear - I wore these Mama Short from Spanx a lot during my first pregnancy the most, since I was going into the office and wearing lot of dresses and skirts. If you have an outie belly button like myself in both pregnancies, that poke through T-shirts and feel extra sensitive or itchy then these mama shorts are going to come in very handy. I also, could not handle regular undies so these were my go-to. That extra compression and support might be just what you need to walk through the door feeling a little more confident. It's a light compression but there’s no compression in the belly band which actually sits above the bump. Did I mention - it pulls in any unflattering thigh jiggle and lifts the booty. I ordered more in different colors for my second pregnancy. I also like this one from Motherhood Maternity, since they closed a lot of their stores the best way to get it is on Amazon.
4. Jumpsuit - I got the Kate jumpsuit from BUMPSUIT for my second pregnancy - seriously so comfortable and easy to style. The fabric is unbelievably soft, with the perfect amount of stretch. These do not put any pressure on your baby bump at all. There is so many ways to style it; solo with sneakers, layer on a sweater, or light jacket to dress it up for an outdoor dinner. You can treat it as if it’s a pair of leggings so you can pair it with UGGs, booties, sneakers, tall boots – anything! It also works just great for postpartum. They also have the shorter version called the Alexa. Definitely a must-have, I wore their leggings and jumpsuits on repeat on my last month of my pregnancy because I could not handle anything else on my skin/body. They actually gave me a discount code for 20% off - IRIS20.
In case you are wondering the same as my followers on Instagram - how do you pee? Well normally jumpsuits can be a challenge while pregnant, but I am telling you the Kate fabric is so buttery soft with the right amount of compression that is so easy to pull off and put on. It is not an issue at all.
5. Leggings - I've to include three types of leggings, activewear, maternity, and faux. In my opinion, leggings are a girl’s best friend! They perfectly stretch and adjust to your changing shape and can be worn casually around the house or dressed up cute with a fun top and shoes. I love my lululemon Align leggings (non-maternity). If you're pregnant during the colder months you need the Spanx faux leather leggings. These have been a fashion obsession of me and a lot of people, and they released their faux maternity leggings. They are totally worth it and so flattering in any body shape. If you want to get maternity leggings, I would highly recommend these from Bumpsuit. They have the same fabric around the belly waist area and are super comfortable.
Was there a piece that you would add to your must-have list? I want to know!
Make sure to share your feedback or questions in the below section.
If you enjoyed this post, please share it or save it on Pinterest!
This blog post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.