Updated: Jan 15, 2021
I was one of those first time moms that thought I was not going have the need to buy too many maternity items for myself. Reality check hit me very quickly (lol). There are must-have items to make your pregnancy and personal prenatal mom-life a lot easier and more comfortable. This of course, is a very important goal to strive for during your pregnancy: stay feeling good and remain comfortable. Let's be honest being pregnant can be uncomfortable for a lot of women, so it is our mission to do our best to truly enjoy this beautiful journey.
These are some basic items that I would recommend for pregnant women to have. Getting one of each item would be enough to have through your entire pregnancy.
Here are the 10 must-have items:
1. Maternity Jeans - these are very stretchy, versatile to style, and the waistband will provide the necessary support through your entire pregnancy. My two favorites are from Motherhood Maternity and PinkBlush Maternity.
2. Pregnancy Pillow – this is not the first thing to buy right away, but definitely good to have when your belly starts getting bigger. This will provide support to your belly, hips, and legs. There are a few styles available, I got the U Shape because I felt like it was more multi-functional for different positions.
3. Bralettes – the breasts are going to get swollen, painful, and heavy. During this time you really just want something comfortable and lightweight. My favorites are from Calvin Klein, Pink/Victoria Secret, and Free People.
4. Underwear (hipster, boyshort,boxers) – even though I did not gain a lot of weight during my first trimester, I went up in size quickly during my second and third trimesters. Everything gets big and swollen so I would recommend to get some comfy underwear of your preference. These worked for me perfectly.
5. Maternity Shapewear – this is great to wear under dresses and skirts (I even wear it under leggings). There will be times during your pregnancy that you cannot handle regular under wear (at least me) and your belly may feel heavy. The shapewear will help in supporting your belly and booty (making everything look better - thank me later).
6. Maternity tights – this is mostly during winter time, unless you like to wear them anytime of the year or live in a cold place. They are great because they come with an expandable belly and non-binding waistband. Comfortable!
7. Belly Waist Band - this will provide that extra support to your belly especially when it’s getting bigger and heavier. It will help your posture, decrease back pains, stretch marks, and perfect for those active mommies.
8. Portable Water Bottle - this might sound obvious but for those that don’t drink enough water, you will need to drink a lot of water to eliminate swollen and dry skin (which may happen anyways). Having a bottle of water handy everywhere that you go, will certainly remind you to drink your daily and recommended amount of water – for you and baby!
9. Lotion/Oils - your skin is going to get dry, stretch, and itch. You will want to keep it moisturized the most that you can 24/7. Stretch marks are genetic so most likely if your mother or sister had them, you are more likely going to get them too (this is totally normal - I even had them before pregnancy). This oil is mainly for prevention and your skin will itch less during your pregnancy. Feel free to use code "IRIS10" to save money at checkout.
10. Supplements/Vitamins - prenatal multi-vitamins, they contain important daily vitamins and minerals you need during your pregnancy. Most women experience constipation during pregnancy, so having a diet high in fiber (such as fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains) should help you with any constipation. There are also easy digesting fiber supplements to help with this. Collagen, will help with skin elasticity, hair, nails, and bone health.
What other items would you add to this list that I may have not mentioned? Did you find any great ideas/items on this post?
Let me know in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this post, please click the share button below and/or save it on Pinterest!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.